Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2016 Top Blog Posts: French and DIY with One Runaway Hit


The start of this New Year at Maison Decor Blog  has me looking back at what my readers seemed to find most interesting.  Sometimes surprising, but this past year underscores that my DIY projects combined with a French flavor seem to bring the most views.  And I am happy about that, because those are two things that I consider a big part of who I am and what I love to do.  
Home and Garden projects that cultivate my love for the French style makes me a happy girl indeed.  
So lets take a look at the posts that everyone seemed to love, and that perhaps you may have missed.
This was a huge project and it was hands down my favorite!  Taking a dumpy unused space behind our home and making it a family favorite was really not that hard to do.  It took vision, more than anything, and some persuasion to get hubs to help me moving stones.  But stones aside,  I hope it gives you the idea to take a second look around your home's property to see what spot you could do a makeover on to gain a well loved and used space.
The before and after are quite startling, aren't they?  
Not taken from the same vantage point, but both showing the back facade of our home.
  Where the single window is, in the before shot, now stands the French doors.
 And the rest flowed from there.  The most important single element to creating this 
French style courtyard was using pea gravel as a base to create the French style outdoor space.
  Look for this courtyard to be featured in Matthew Mead's Spring issue of Upstyled Home, 
coming in March 2017.  I have seen the preview, and I have to say I was totally blown away
 by this feature and the other gardens Matthew has for this issue. 
 I CANNOT wait for you all to see this issue!!!
This DIY post on how to make easy labels was another hit.  I love easy projects, and this one fits the bill.  Most of us have these battery operated pillar candles, and I personalized mine using a simple method that took a few minutes, using my printer and some packing tape.  After the candles, I did the lantern itself.  This method works great on glass or plain surfaces.  
Look how pretty it looked at Christmas! 
It would be awesome to make stamps personalized with names or monograms for weddings or showers or birthdays.....you get the idea.  I guess people like doing easy projects, just like I do. 
This was another DIY garden project that I was very proud to finish.
The garden shed was created using a dilapidated structure, and then I shingled it with
the help of my son.  Never having done anything like this before, it was very fun
and although we may have not done it according to the "rules", it is a sturdy 
attractive feature to our back yard. 
I think the French door I found on Craiglist and added to the front gave it big time curb appeal.  
You can read more about the shed in the first post I am sharing above about the Courtyard.
This painted daybed was part of an antique bed set that 
I had in my possession when I operated my shop.  
All pieces sold, except for the tea table which I kept for myself.  
Readers, like myself, seem to love beautiful French style antiques!
This charming painted table has made it's way into the
 current issue of Romantic Country magazine!
I had moved it from the living room up to my bedroom, where it is today. 
For a behind the magazine shoot story, here you go: 
Funny thing is, I sleep on the other side of the
bed, and that is where the table sits, under the window.  So for the shoot, Fifi O'Neill
moved the bed to hubby's side so it would make for a pretty picture.  And then she piled
up any pink and floral linens I had on the bed, and as they say, the rest is history!
(P.S. You can buy the Spring 2017 Romantic Country mag
where ever magazines are sold, so go get one!)
My living room is featured on the current cover, and inside you will see the 
rest of our home.  Some of these rooms have not been seen in the blog, so don't miss it!
And last, but not least, was this post that turned out to be a mega-hit as far as 
my statistics are concerned.  I was shocked at how many people read this post.
At least five times more than my most popular post, the biggest post of the year
was this tutorial I wrote on how to upholster a French chair.
My first attempt at reupholstering is captured step by step as I tried to 
show how you can do it the easy way.  Have I said I like things that are easy?
Yup, it was pretty easy, although nontraditional, I am pleased to say it is almost a year
since I have done it and the chair looks just as good the day I finished it.
So that is my 2016 round up for popular blog posts.
Just a mix of French with DIY and that is me, in a nutshell.


 photo signature_zpsxi5q1w6r.png

5 comments:

  1. I admired your garden makeover the first time and still do! And I had somehow missed (or failed to save) the upholstery post, but I've saved it now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the table, and your yard makeover is lovely! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a year 2016 was for you!....and I so loved the backyard makeover and I am just noticing the sign hung on the back of the house!....I am so looking forward to your feature in Matthew's magazine!..Looking forward to more of your beautiful inspiration this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for your table being in "Romantic Decorating". I love that Fairy Blue Table. Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you please share the wall paint color in your bedroom!? I love it and have been looking for something like it for my newly redone kitchen! That and your living room color are beautiful! Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...