Sunday, September 1, 2013

Colin's rustic bedroom makeover!


Colin wanted my help making over his bedroom.  
Let me fill you in on the back story of the space first. 
Before the Maison Decor store, I did a lot of interior design work 
for clients which included buying accessories like pillows and lamps.  
Now much of my focus is running the shop and that means the house has
been on the back burner.  Colin just graduated from college and gave up his 
room in our basement apartment to Justin and Madison who moved in last month.
So that meant Colin moved upstairs back to his old bedroom that 
he had lived in many moons ago. 
 When he moved out I took it over as my home office.
Then along came the Maison Decor stores, and I no longer needed a spot
for design work and blogging so the space turned into a guest room.
You might recognize the big cabinet as the unit we keep all our 
Chalk Paint in at the Reading store. The arched top cabinet
 holds all our Chalk Paint samples, and the desk underneath it 
was sold to Mike, one of our Boston customers.  
So this room became a guest room for a little while.
A lakehouse set of cottage furniture was added and not before long this became
Colin's bedroom....so you can see why the poor guy wanted a re-do.
Enter HomeGoods!
On the perfect pillow hunt!!
 HomeGoods selected me to be one of ten national designers to pin for 
them on their Happy By Design Pinterest board.  So while I have my 
own home decor shop I am once again finding myself in the aisles 
of HomeGoods selecting great looking stuff for occasional design jobs, 
like this one for Colin.  Colin and I found the perfect lamps for his room~
we had decided on a rustic theme and our colors would 
include black and beige and anything in between.
 We fell in love with this very rustic black wooden mirror and added it to our pile.
 We have two days off in a row and hope to put a major dent in his room makeover. 
 We will be using pillows and lamps from HomeGoods along 
with that great big mirror and then we will mix it up with antiques
 and collectibles from Maison Decor.  The Boston store had a nice selection
 of rustic mens style antiques so we will be using a few 
of those including artwork with wild horses, a vintage trunk or two...
 and this handsome fellow!  
Taxidermy is so hot in design right now.
We had a few of these in the Boston store. This guy was our favorite and 
now he will live with us in Colin's room.
 Colin brought in the giant deer head and Dillon was quite intrigued 
and spent about ten minutes getting to know him. 
Colin picked out a few of the pieces of furniture we had at Maison Decor.  
A vintage french provincial bedroom set was going to get
 the man treatment with Graphite Chalk Paint! 

I suggested he leave the top natural and finish the cabinet in Graphite 
for a two tone look.  This is the first coat but gives you an idea 
of how cool it is going to look. Very manly indeed!  
He is painting away with the Graphite Chalk Paint at this very 
moment finishing up the matching headboard
and mens dresser.  We love this take on using a masculine paint 
on a traditionally more light heated style of furniture.  What do you think?  












Here is some of our HomeGoods haul~
great urn lamps with burlap shades, a bunch of pillows
 and bedding and that fab mirror. Stay tuned for part two 
of Colin's bedroom makeover. We will hurry, I promise!
Here is a little peek....
You can follow all the designers, including me, on this 
special Pinterest board where we share our decorating tips.
#HomeGoods #HappybyDesign #HomeGoodsHappy
#ChalkPaint #itsmorethanpaint

Maison Decor is located at 
150 Main Street Reading Mass
781-942-7400

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. The room is looking great! Gotta love Home Goods :) Bet you love having family at home...I never want my kids to leave. Luckily Janae only moved a mile away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll have it looking fabulous. My 20 and 18 year old sons have their own lives, but still live with us. I know it won't be forever, but I'm not in a hurry for them to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the furniture in black and natural and that mirror is stunning. Great lamps too. Can't wait to see more. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun shopping and pinning for Homegoods! Dillon is probably afraid you are gong to do that to him! You've got a houseful these days...wow! But I know you are cherishing getting to spend so much time with your boys. Can't wait to see the rest of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking fabulous, love love that paint color!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of the furniture with the graphite paint and the deer head, this is going to look so fantastic I suspect you just might get requests from others to do this look for their rooms. Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love HomeGoods!! Great finds Amy the room looks great! I just bought a new lamp from HG love their lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool space you're creating for your kiddo! I love the colors you've chosen and look forward to seeing more! Home Goods to the rescue, yet again ... one of my favorite places!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's going to look fabulous! I love Home Goods...such a dangerous place for the bank account. lol. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, Amy! How fun that you all work, shop, and live together! You must have such a special bond with each other. ♥ Looking forward to the big reveal!!!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...